Accredited by the British Council, LAL Summer Schools has been operating residential summer schools since 1998. Based in the offices of our year-round school in London, we are part of LAL Language Centres, an international group of language schools in the UK, USA, Malta and South Africa, established in 1980.
Our mission is to provide the perfect environment for our students to learn and practise English while enjoying the characteristics and culture of each country.
We understand that you may want to know more about us and what we do, so we have prepared this page to give you some further information. We would invite you to read it carefully as it may be referred to in interview.
Our centres are at Mount Kelly in Tavistock, Devon, Taunton School, Somerset, St Swithun’s School, Winchester, Hampshire and St Mary’s University College in Twickenham, Berkhamsted School, Hertfordshire and the American Express Community Stadium, Brighton.
The students, aged from 8-17 years, come from Europe, Asia and South America, mostly for two weeks, though there are some who stay for three or four.
Our staff team at each centre will be made up of:
- Centre Manager (responsible for the overall management of the centre)
- Leisure Manager (responsible for the leisure side)
- Academic Manager & Assistant Academic Manager (responsible for the academic side)
- Welfare Manager & Assistant Welfare Manager (responsible for the well-being of students)
- Office Manager (responsible for the financial and administrative aspects)
- Customer Service and Office Manager & Office Administrator (responsible for the financial and administrative aspects and ensuring a high level of customer service is being maintained at all times)
- Teachers (responsible for delivering communicative and interesting lessons and well as activities and excursions – No house parent duties)
- House Parent (responsible for looking after the students in their residence)
- Activity Co-ordinators, Excursions Co-ordinator and Activity Leaders (responsible for arranging, organising and assisting in all aspects of the leisure programme and transfers)
You can find positions that are currently being advertised here.
At our last British Council inspection we received 26 points of Strength and a recommendation for “Centre of Excellence” from the English Language Gazette.
While we offer a comprehensive activity and excursion programme at each of our six centres, we also ensure that each centre can cater to its strengths and therefore have specific programmes designed to compliment the location as well as the academic syllabus
We are a company that assists and encourages its staff with our comprehensive management team. We let teachers teach and the pastoral staff do pastoral duties; we welcome and support newly qualified teachers but also give experienced teachers their own freedom in the classroom; and we always look for the most enthusiastic, energetic and motivated activities and welfare staff.
Board and single-room lodging in the residential houses are included in the package, with all meals being provided by the school. This includes packed meals on excursion days and you are, of course, entitled to all meals on days off. Bathrooms are shared. At our centre in Berkhamsted School staff may be accommodated in local Host Homes.
The standard working week varies between role. You will not be expected to work more than 48 hours a week. You may volunteer to work for longer hours, but we do not anticipate that you will work more than 48 hours a week on average over the course of your employment. Time off in lieu will be given should you be involved in a particularly long day or week. You will have at least one day off a week to give you time to ‘recharge your batteries’
School Dates (Student Arrival and Final Departure)
Training is scheduled to take place prior to student arrival and attendance is a condition of your employment
- LAL Tavistock – Mount Kelly 13 July – 24 August 2016
- LAL Winchester – St Swithun’s 11 July – 08 August 2016
- LAL Taunton – Taunton School 06 July – 27 July 2016
- LAL London – St Mary’s University 03 Jul – 21 August 2016
- LAL Berkhamsted – Berkhamsted School – 10 July – 21 August 2016
- LAL Brighton – University of Sussex – 03 July – 14 August 2016
Depending on the job you apply for, we may offer 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 week contracts from the above start dates; however senior staff will be required for the full length of the course. The dates of your contract will be given when an offer of employment is sent out.