Accredited by the CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation), LAL USA Summer Schools has been operating residential summer schools since 2007. Based in the offices of our year-round school in Fort Lauderdale, we are part of LAL Language Centres, an international group of language schools in the UK, USA, Malta and South Africa, established for over 30 years.
Our mission is to provide the perfect environment for our students to learn and practice English while enjoying the characteristics and culture of each country.
We understand that you may want to know more about us and what we do, so we have prepared this document to give you some further information. We would invite you to read it carefully as it may be referred to in interview.
Our two summer schools are in Boca Raton, Florida and New York, New York we also operate Young Learner Programs during the summer at our year round school in Fort Lauderdale.
The students, aged from 13-18 years, come from Europe, Asia and South America, mostly for two weeks, though there are some who stay for three or four.
Our staff team at each centre will be made up of:
- Center Manager (responsible for the overall management of the centre)
- Leisure Manager (responsible for the leisure side)
- Academic Manager & Assistant Academic Manager (responsible for the academic side)
- Welfare Manager (responsible for the well-being of students)
- Office Manager (responsible for the financial and administrative aspects)
- Teachers (responsible for delivering communicative and interesting lessons)
- House Parents (responsible for looking after the students in their residence)
- Activity Co-ordinators, Excursions Co-ordinator and Leaders (responsible for arranging, organising and assisting in all aspects of the leisure programme and transfers)
While we offer a comprehensive activity and excursion program at all of our schools, we also ensure that each school can cater to its strengths and therefore have specific programs designed to compliment the location as well as the academic syllabus.
We are a company that assists and encourages its staff with our comprehensive management team. We let teachers teach and the pastoral staff do pastoral duties; we welcome and support newly qualified teachers but also give experienced teachers their own freedom in the classroom; and we always look for the most enthusiastic, energetic and motivated activities and welfare staff.
Board and shared-room lodging at both of our summer schools is included in the package, with all meals being provided by the school. This includes packed meals on excursion days and you are, of course, entitled to all meals on days off. Bathrooms are shared.
The standard working week is 5.5 days for all full-time positions and. You will not be expected to work more than 48 hours a week. You may volunteer to work for longer hours, but we do not anticipate that you will work more than 48 hours a week on average over the course of your employment. Time off in lieu will be given should you be involved in a particularly long day or week. You will have one and a half days off a week, often together to give you time to ‘recharge your batteries’.
Teachers are employed on a part-time contract and as such are expected to work 5 days which amounts to average of 20 hours per week.
We are recruiting for all schools, so please let us know if you have a particular preference and note that the start dates are different:
- Boca Raton: 29 June – 10 August 2016
- New York: 06 July – 03 August 2016
- Boston Summer School: 29 June – 03 August 2016
- Fort Lauderdale: 26 June – 27 August 2016
Depending on the job you apply for, we may offer 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 week contracts from the above start dates; however senior staff will be required for the full length of the course. The dates of your contract will be given when an offer of employment is sent out, and are given on the job descriptions.