LAL, having recently celebrated over 30 years in the industry, is a well-established, international English language provider for adults and juniors, supported by a large German parent company. We are looking for a talented Assistant Academic Manager for our school in Torbay to support the Academic Manager and as required.
In liaison with the Academic Manager effectively recruit, mentor and monitor all teaching staff and keep all academic administration up to date. Ensure the highest possible standards using relevant and available resource and technology to meet student expectations. Support the Head of Young Learners in providing successful young learner courses. To teach English to students from overseas using relevant and current resources and available technology to meet student expectations.
Hours of work/contract type:
37.5 hours per week
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
Teacher Recruitment and Development
- To take responsibility for the recruitment of teachers, including the short-listing and interviewing of candidate ensuring that all HR policies and procedures are followed.
- To help calculate forward numbers of students to inform the recruitment process whilst being mindful of student:teacher ratios.
- To organise and provide an effective induction for all teachers by working closely with the Academic Manager.
- To mentor newly recruited teaching staff and to instruct and support them in the academic and administrative processes of the school, including all areas of health and safety.
- To take a lead with planning and conducting teacher observations, feedback and required administration e.g. maintain electronic files.
- To identify training needs and assist the Academic Manager with staff training and development.
- To run CPD sessions where required.
- Create and maintain a professional and friendly atmosphere in the teachers room.
- To deliver a high level of customer service to both existing and prospective students at all times.
- To test and place new students on arrival and give them a comprehensive induction to the school, to test and induct late arrivals and mark pre-arrival tests.
- To work with the Academic Manager and others in taking a lead role to increase the use of technology in the school, ensuring high quality standards and maximum student participation.
- To keep up to date knowledge and skills in all aspects of IT relevant to the department and ensure these are being utilised appropriately in the classroom.
- To use all LAL provided software including LAL Advantage and Office 365 to maximise the learner experience.
- Support the students with registration and feedback on LAL Advantage.
- To assist if necessary in the development of new and existing courses by researching materials, designing course plans, teaching and responding to feedback as directed by the Academic Manager.
- To teach on specialist exam courses (such as FCE, CAE, CPE, GESE) and support colleagues on these courses.
- In liaison with the Academic Manager, to be one of the primary points of contact in the Academic Department for students. To endeavour to resolve issues and to keep the Academic Manager and other relevant stakeholders, e.g. Head of Young Learners, Customer Service Manager etc. informed.
- To mark diagnostic tests and identify key areas for students to work on. To discuss the areas identified with the class teacher and the student as required.
- To enter students for exams, attend Cambridge ESOL meetings and feed back to the Academic Manager and teachers regarding changes.
- To assist in the weekly planning of classes.
- To help ensure the classrooms are furnished appropriately and equipped with the necessary audio and visual equipment.
- To cover classes when teachers are unable to attend work, ensuring continuity for the students as far as possible.
- To deputise for the Academic Manager in his/her absence.
- To attend and occasionally lead and deliver staff meetings.
- To be familiar with the inspection criteria of the British Council and any other accreditations, and in liaison with the management team ensure that those criteria are met. Ensure that all staff documentation is kept up-to-date at all times in an electronic record in liaison with HR.
- To ensure the academic stock take is completed accurately and on time each month.
- To provide course descriptions and relevant marketing content and where required.
- To respond to availability and information requests within LALs’ guideline times.
- To help deliver LAL’s business objectives to clients and stakeholders.
- To keep up to date with market expectations and help the business deliver these to our clients.
- To represent the Academic Department at internal and external meetings and conferences as required.
- To be responsible for your development including attending CPD sessions; maintain subject matter knowledge and skills.
- To protect the property and equipment of LAL, maintaining security and
- avoiding loss and/or damage.
- To maintain confidentiality of all information and materials belonging to LAL.
- To undertake other duties as deemed necessary by the Academic Manager or the General Manager.
- DELTA or equivalent
- Good general office administration experience
- Teaching experience at all levels and age groups
- Experience of use full range of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience of effective people management, support and development
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Highly developed communication skills
- Well-developed computer literacy skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Meticulous and thorough approach with attention to detail and follow through
- Demonstrate a commitment to sustained continuing professional development.
- Ability to deal with conflicting demands
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent team player and ability to work individually
- Self-motivated and willingness to work beyond the hours
- Maintains a professional and friendly attitude at all times with all
- Leadership skills
- Ability to motivate staff
- Understanding of cultures other than that of the UK
- An interest in promoting learner autonomy
- Enhanced DBS disclosure – clear Takes ownership and responsibility in all areas of work
- Owns their self-development, learning and skills enhancement
- “Can do” attitude, positive approach to work and students
- Previous experience in a senior role of responsibility
- Experience in exam teaching – Cambridge Suite, IELTS. TOEFL, TOEIC
- Experience in teaching Business English
- Knowledge of a variety of learning platforms
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to speak and write in languages other than English