Covering Teacher Absence
In the case short notice teaching cover is needed at an LAL summer school the following structure should be followed:
- The first level of cover is the onsite Academic Management team including the Director of Studies, the Assistant Director of Studies and the Senior Teacher, where present.
- The second level of cover, if possible after considering distance from the summer school and availability of teachers, can be arranged from LAL London and/or LAL Torbay. Contact a member of the Summer School Management Team to help arrange this.
- The third level of cover is an appropriately qualified member of the Summer School Management Team. Contact a member of the Summer School Management Team to help arrange this.
In the case of sickness for more than a day there is a reserve list of teachers who may be called in for cover held at Head Office. If this is the case at an LAL summer school the DOS should inform the Head of Young Learners as quickly as possible and they will coordinate with the Summer School Recruitment and Operations Coordinator to arrange cover.
Recording Teacher Absence and Substitutions
All teacher absence and substitutions, for whatever reason, should be recorded. This should be done in all of the following ways:
- The information should be added to the relevant columns of the Master List (sub teacher, sub date, sub time) for the appropriate week and saved. Ensure you filter by classroom first, so you are adding the substitution to the correct class. Copy the information, in all three columns to all of the students in that class.
- Ensure that you also contact the Head of Young Learners and/or the Summer School Operations Manager to inform them of any changes, this is especially important if you think the absence is likely to be longer term. If longer term cover is likely to be needed inform them as soon as possible.