LAL, having celebrated over 30 years in the industry, is a well-established, international English language provider for adults and juniors, supported by a large German parent company. We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable seasonal teachers to join us for the summer months to teach our foreign language students at our school in Paignton, LAL Torbay.
To teach English to students from overseas using relevant and current resources and available technology to meet student expectations. Plan and deliver lessons with cultural sensitivities and safeguarding consideration ensuring appropriate content. To meet individual student learning needs and deliver a high standard of customer service.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To prepare lessons and teach English to students from overseas across a range of levels and ages.
- To set homework appropriate to the student’s course and give feedback.
- To arrange and carry out regular testing and report to academic managers on progress of students.
- To follow the prescribed syllabus and content of courses.
- Check individual student understanding of instructions and new language via appropriate methods throughout lessons.
- To assist in the placement testing of students and placement as required.
- To maintain accurate and up-to-date documentation in sufficient detail, as advised by the Academic Department.
- To take responsibility for the overall presentation of the learning environment and ensure the classroom is prepared in advance of the class starting.
- To keep abreast of pedagogic innovations in ELT and attend teacher development sessions.
- To keep up to date knowledge and skills in all aspects of IT relevant to your role and utilise these appropriately in the classroom.
- To use all LAL provided software including LAL Advantage and Office 365 to maximise the learner experience.
- To meet learner expectations and market standards in regard to student classroom experience.
- To induct all students with Health & Safety procedures according to LAL’s H&S Policy.
- To submit to periodic classroom observations by line management, the British Council, or any other interested party.
- To attend meetings when required.
- To be responsible for your on-going professional development by attending CPD sessions internally and training externally where appropriate or advised.
- To protect the property and equipment of LAL, maintain security and avoid loss and/or damage.
- To maintain confidentiality of all information and materials belonging to LAL.
- To carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the General Manager and/or Senior Teacher and/or Academic Manager.
- Degree qualification or equivalent
- CELTA or DELTA or equivalent
- Experience of cultures other than that of the UK
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills in dealing with all relevant stakeholders e.g. all colleagues and students and International Group Leaders
- To be able to communicate with international learners of all levels
- Computer literate, including knowledge and ability to use LAL Advantage, Office 365 and MS Office Suite
- Excellent level of written and spoken English
- Friendly and approachable
- Team player
- Excellent customer service manner
- Ability to take personal responsibility in an unexpected situation e.g. medical emergency
- Good organisational skills
- Takes responsibility for own learning and development
- Enhanced DBS clearance.
- Experience of teaching EFL students in a multi-lingual context
- Experience in exam preparation teaching – Cambridge Suite, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and Trinity Examinations
- Experience in teaching English for Business
- Experience in teaching young learners
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to speak and write in languages other than English