To support the Leisure Manager in guaranteeing the smooth running of all excursions and transfers. This post involves the ability to help plan, manage and execute a successful excursion program as well as ensuring all staff on excursions are thoroughly prepared for their task.
- Salary: $520 per week
- Location: Boca Raton, FL - New York, NY
- Division: LAL USA
- Contract length: Summer Job
Hours of Work/Employment Agreement Type:
Your normal hours of work are 48 per week over a five and a half day week. You may be required to work additional hours when requested to meet the needs of the school. This position involves working weekends and other unsocial hours.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- To live on-site, board and lodging provided as part of the salary package, from three days prior to the start of the course until the last contracted day (which will include the night after students have left).
- To participate fully in all aspects of the induction period prior to the start of the course. This may include the unpacking, inventorying and setting up of all summer school offices.
- To participate fully in the closing down of the summer school the day after all students have left.
- To lead a team of Activity Staff on excursions and airport transfers.
- To lead and assist with arrival and departure airport transfers.
- To be jointly responsible with the Leisure Manager for the smooth running of the excursion program.
- To assist the Leisure Manager in coordinating airport transfers to and from the summer school.
- To assist the Leisure Manager in the allocation of staff to the excursion and transport program.
- To assist the Leisure Manager in all aspects of planning and delivering the excursion program.
- To help organize and conduct daily assemblies to ensure students and IGLs gain maximum benefit from the excursion program.
- To administrate social media pages as directed by Leisure Manager.
- To accompany and lead students on excursions, ensuring their well-being and safety.
- To occasionally deputize for the Leisure Manager and be responsible for the leisure program during that time.
- To actively encourage students to take a full part in the leisure program.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To assist students in being on time for meals, transport arrangements and all planned activities.
- Lead a daily briefing scheduled to take place at the end of every working day (approximately 11pm).
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To organize and supervise weekly IGL excursions.
- To assist House Parents, where necessary, in ensuring students are in their accommodation on time for bed.
- To act in a seemly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To wear a uniform for activities/sports and excursions. Any uniform supplied by LAL is to be returned at the end of the course.
- To carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Center Manager or Leisure Manager.
- To deal with all student, IGL and University representatives’ issues, complaints and suggestions in a positive and effective manner and in adherence with the relevant LAL policies and procedures.
- To read and be fully conversant with the staff handbook, relevant Child Protection issues and all pertinent CEA requirements prior to the start of the period of employment (documents supplied prior to start of employment).
The letters in brackets denote how LAL will establish if you meet our criteria and how that will be determined. The letters have the following meaning: (A) = Application Form, (I) = Interview, (R) = Reference and (T) = Test.
E.g. experience of working with young people will be determined by the information provided by the candidate on the application form (A) and through questions at Interview (I)
Education, Training and Knowledge
a) High School Diploma, GED or equivalent (A)
b) Strong command of the English Language (A/I)
c) Good knowledge of excursions and airport transfers (A/I/T)
Relevant Work Experience
a) Experience of working with young people (A/I/R)
Skills and Abilities
a) Ability to both lead and support a team (A/I)
b) Responsible approach to working with juniors (I/R)
c) Ability to work under pressure and supervise a team (A/I)
d) Dynamic ‘can do’ approach to work (A/I)
e) Endless energy and enthusiasm (A/I)
a) Excellent communication skills (A/I)
b) Some knowledge of foreign cultures (A/I)
c) Interest in activities and local culture (A/I)
d) Satisfactory criminal background check or equivalent (A/R)
Education, Training and Knowledge
a) First Aid Certificate/Life Guard Certificate (A)
b) Good knowledge of the local area (A/I)
c) Computer literate (A)
d) Driving license (A)
Relevant Work Experience
a) Previous Summer School experience (A/I)
b) At least 1 year’s work experience in a similar role (A/I)
Skills and abilities
a) Good working knowledge of at least one foreign language (A)
In the event of a successful interview, the applicant will be offered the position and a reply in the first instance either by email or in writing will be required.
Activity Leaders at LAL Boca Raton are required to attend a life guard course prior to the start of their employment (paid for by LAL) if not already lifeguard certified.
A formal offer, confirming location, hours, dates and remuneration will be sent upon receipt of your email acceptance of the position. This will need to be signed and posted and/or scanned and emailed by return.
Any offer of work is subject to a face-to-face interview on arrival, a satisfactory background check or equivalent and favorable references (all references will ask specifically whether there is any reason why you should not be employed in situations where you will have responsibility for, or substantial access to, persons under 18).
An electronic version of the employee handbook, containing the general terms and conditions of employment, will be made available in advance, with acceptance of these terms to be signed at induction on your first day.
Employment Agreement is considered fulfilled upon completion of an appraisal and all requisite feedback forms.
Applications have now closed for this position.
We have left the details here for your reference only