LAL Cape Town
To take full responsibility for effective business performance and effective operations, and to lead the year round operations for students in Cape Town in line with the strategic business objectives of the LAL Language Centres Holding (LALLC) Management Board and in consultation with relevant persons and departments in LAL.
Line Manager: Chief Executive Officer
LALLC (UK based)
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Cape Town
- Division: LAL SA
- Contract length: Permanent
• Oversee the daily operations of LAL Cape Town to include overall responsibility for academic operations, contractual management, customer services, electronic systems & IT, estates maintenance and upgrading, extracurricular operations, financial administration, health & safety, human resources, licensing arrangements, relationships with affiliate bodies, sales – marketing, admissions and student welfare.
• Lead a team of middle managers in the academic, administration, operations, and sales departments.
• Optimise efficiency, consistency and maintain and improve standards.
• Objectify and guide operations to meet the company’s operational and business objectives.
• Represent the company at board, group and national industry level.
• Liaise with the group company’s departments and businesses as required.
• Liaise & coordinate with financial auditors, legal and regulatory bodies, law officers as required.
• Provide and respond to financial data and oversee local commercial activities
The list which follows is indicative but not exclusive of specific tasks that come with this post:
• Academic Operations. To maintain best practice in respect of teaching and to optimise academic performance with respect to human resources, facilities, environment, product and methodology.
• Electronic Systems & IT. In liaison with the LAL Language Centres CIO, ensure the safety, security, adequacy and full functioning of local electronic systems.
• Estates. Manage the contractual relationship with landlords relating to the school itself and the on-site student residence. Manage external contractors to ensure cost effective, prompt, high quality delivery of services in terms of function, health and safety, cleaning and utilities.
• Extra-Curricular and Ancillary Operations. To maintain best practice, conduct risk assessments and ensure legal compliance in respect of extra-curricular operations to include accommodation, welfare, transfers, catering and leisure & activities. To further maintain good relations and promote best practise with sub-contractors supplying additional ancillary services in these same fields.
• Financial Administration. To deliver accurate data and financial reports in a timely fashion to the company’s internal agencies including FtiAS and Fti controlling departments, and external agencies including banks, and auditors. To further ensure that all monies due to the company and that all monies due from the company are collected and remitted in a timely fashion and that the company’s active external and internal agencies are fully appraised of all and any information of material significance to the fiduciary duty of its officers and representatives.
• Human Resources. Ensure that a well-resourced, suitably trained, fully motivated and adequately qualified workforce is maintained to meet the needs of the business and within budget. To conduct hearings of grievance and discipline where appropriate, make redundant, and extend or terminate contracts subject to the approval of the CEO.
• Licensing, Accreditation and Professional Bodies. To ensure that LAL Language Centres is adequately licensed and legally safeguarded to meet the needs of the business with respect to all matters relating to the business. To ensure that LAL Cape Town is continually and fully compliant with all criteria demanded of its accreditation status with relevant accrediting bodies. Engage with government bodies as required.
• Management. Assume responsibility for the day-to-day running of the School, its staff and its students on behalf of its management, Board and shareholders.
• Reception & Customer Services. To ensure that reception and student services are maintained, and deliver high levels of customer service to staff, students, parents and visitors. To undertake measures to meet the local sales targets and budgets.
• Sales. Generate local sales in Cape Town. To develop an entrepreneurial spirit within the school and develop and optimise the potential for local, walk in and corporate business.
• Sales Distribution Support. To liaise with LAL Language Centres Holding Ltd sales distribution channels as instructed to ensure that generated sales leads are converted into actual sales.
• Any additional duties as required by the business.
University Degree, preferably in a business related discipline
10 years’ experience in Senior Management position
Knowledge of ELT industry
Knowledge of Africa, especially South Africa in a working context
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Dynamic entrepreneurial approach
Quick decision making skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Able to meet requirements of a demanding job
Thorough, responsive, dynamic, level-headed
Culturally sensitive and knowledgeable
Willingness to work non-standard hours when necessary
Available for foreign travel
At least 4 years in ELT Management position
Experience of living and working in South Africa
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Foreign languages – especially
South African passport holder