To take full responsibility for effective business performance and effective operations at LAL London and LAL UK Summer Schools in line with the strategic business objectives of the LAL Language Centres Holding (LALLC) Management Board and in consultation with relevant persons and departments in LAL Language Centres UK Ltd.
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Twickenham
- Division: LAL London
- Contract length: Permanent
Location: London Road, Twickenham
Line Manager: Executive Manager UK
LAL, having recently celebrated over 30 years in the industry, is a well-established, international English language provider for adults and juniors, supported by a large German parent company, looking for a General Manager to oversee all aspects of the operation in our school in Twickenham and our 5 Summer Schools.
- Oversee daily operations of LAL London and LAL UK Summer Schools to include overall responsibility for best practice in terms of academic operations, contractual management, customer services, electronic systems & IT, estates maintenance and upgrading, financial administration, extra-curricular operations, health & safety, licensing arrangements, relationships with affiliate bodies and agencies and student welfare.
- Represent LAL London and LAL UK Summer Schools at group level meetings and national industry events.
- Optimise efficiency, consistency and maintain and improve standards.
- Provide and respond to financial data and oversee local commercial activities.
– To maintain best practice in respect of teaching and to optimise academic performance with respect to human resources, facilities, environment, product and methodology.
– In liaison with the LAL Language Centres IT and Network Manager, ensure the safety, security, adequacy and full functioning of local electronic systems.
– Manage the contractual relationship with landlords relating to the school itself and the student residences. Manage external contractors to ensure cost effective, prompt, high quality delivery of services in terms of function, health and safety, cleaning and utilities.
– To maintain best practice, conduct risk assessments and ensure legal compliance in respect of extra-curricular operations to include accommodation, welfare, transfers, catering and leisure & activities. To further maintain good relations and promote best practise with sub-contractors supplying additional ancillary services in these same fields.
– To deliver accurate data and financial reports in a timely fashion to the company’s internal agencies and external agencies including banks, auditors and HMRC as required. To further ensure that all monies due to the company and that all monies due from the company are collected and remitted in a timely fashion. To ensure that the company’s active external and internal agencies are fully appraised of all and any information of material significance to the fiduciary duty of its officers and representatives.
– In liaison with the HR Manager, ensure that a well-resourced, suitably trained, fully motivated and adequately qualified workforce is retained/recruited to meet the needs of the business and within budget. To conduct hearings of grievance and discipline where appropriate whereby the final decision to hire, make redundant, extend or terminate contracts is subject to approval of the Senior Management Team.
– To ensure that LAL Language Centres are adequately licensed and legally safeguarded to meet the needs of the business with respect to all matters relating to the business. To ensure that LAL London and LAL UKSS are continually and fully compliant with all criteria demanded of its accreditation status with relevant accrediting bodies. Engage with government bodies, English UK and British Council.
– Assume responsibility for the day-to-day running of LAL London and LAL UKSS, their staff and students on behalf of the management, Board and shareholders. To line manage all head of departments within LAL London and LAL UKSS.
– To ensure that an efficient Reception and Student Services department are maintained and high levels of customer service are delivered for the benefit of staff, students, parents and visitors. To undertake measures to meet the local sales targets and budgets.
– To develop an entrepreneurial spirit within the school and to develop and optimise the potential for local, walk in and corporate business.
– To liaise with LAL Language Centres Holding Ltd sales distribution channels as instructed to ensure that generated sales leads are converted into actual sales.
– To work on a continuous plan for staff development in liaison with Executive Manager UK and HR Manager.
- Higher University Degree
- Management qualification
- Team building, leadership, motivational and people and general managerial skills
- Selling and negotiating
- Operational management
- Strategic thinking, problem solving & decision making
- Worked at a similar level of authority
- Significant management experience in the language travel industry or similar
- Summer Schools experience
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent level of spoken and written English
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Commercial and business acumen
- Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
- A methodical and organised approach to work
- Ability to plan and prioritise
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Outstanding customer service commitment
- Outcomes driven and dynamic
- Fiscally responsible
- Highly articulate and presentable
- Ability to speak and write in languages other than English
- Willingness to work non-standard hours when necessary
- Flexible approach to work
- Target driven
- Willingness for occasional national and international travel
- Comfortable operating within a wider corporate structure
- Enhanced DBS disclosure – clear
How to apply
Please ensure that you meet the requirements in the Job Description and Person Specification before applying.
You can apply on-line using the link below, or download and complete an application form.