To organize and oversee all aspects of the Leisure Program, transport and transfers at the designated Summer School. The role of Leisure Manager is one of high responsibility, directly concerned with the welfare and enjoyment of international junior students. This requires the post-holder to take overall responsibility for the preparation, installation, operation and outcomes of the Leisure Program including off-site excursions, on-site activities as well as the airport transfer arrangements to and from the school. There will also be a strong reliance on team management as the Leisure Manager will be responsible for all staff whilst they involved in the leisure program. The ideal Leisure Manager will be extremely responsible and organised. They will be capable of leading a team and working in a highly pressurised environment. They will be familiar with the location and its surrounding places of interest. They will have a detailed understanding of a variety of sports and activities.
- Salary: $620 per week
- Location: Boca Raton or New York
- Division: LAL USA
- Contract length: Summer Job
Deputy Center Manager / Center Manager
Hours of Work/Employment Agreement Type:
Your normal hours of work are 48 per week over a five and a half day week. You may be required to work additional hours when requested to meet the needs of the school. This position involves working weekends and other unsocial hours.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- To attend an expenses-paid induction period prior to the beginning of the employment agreement (date and location dependent on Summer School) and to have read and be fully conversant with the employee handbook prior to the start of the period of employment (documents supplied prior to start of employment)*.
- To live on-site, board and lodging provided as part of the salary package, from six days prior to the start of the course until the last contracted day (which will include the night after students have left).
- To participate fully in all aspects of the induction period prior to the start of the course. This may include the unpacking, inventorying and setting up of all summer school offices.
- To participate fully in the closing down of the summer school the day after all students have left.
- To be apprised of all planned activity, excursion and transport information from within LAL, the host school and outside agencies to guarantee a smooth operation.
- To liaise with the Activity Coordinator and Excursion Coordinator in order to ensure the delivery of a well-organised leisure program.
- To brief Activity Staff on all aspects of their responsibilities, including detailed briefings to all contracted staff in advance of their activities, excursions and/or transfers.
- To liaise with transport and leisure venue providers, catering, maintenance and administrative staff in advance and during the term of hire to guarantee the smooth and safe operation of all activities.
- To work with the Transfer Manager to ensure the safe arrival and transfer of students to the summer school and the safe delivery of the same students through immigration controls upon departure.
- To oversee all arrangements concerning sporting and non-sporting activities, ensuring all students are able to enjoy a varied and well-balanced activity program and all staff are aware of their duties and obligations before each activity/excursion/transfer commences.
- To manage the leisure staff as necessary to ensure all policies/procedures and deadlines are adhered to.
- To manage the allocation of staff to the activity and transport program in liaison with other senior members of summer school staff.
- To adjust excursion and transport booking numbers up or down in accord with student numbers.
- To occasionally deputise for the Center Manager in his/her absence.
- To create a working relationship with the Office Manager, where both managers will be responsible for the completion of the following spreadsheets:
- Transfers Reconciliation Sheet, Activities and Excursions Reconciliation Sheets and Optional Excursions Register
- To actively promote the welfare of LAL clients, including agents, students and International Group Leaders at all times.
- To act in a seemly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL or the designated host school into disrepute.
- To dress in a manner commensurate with the roles demanded of the position; smart casual for the office, LAL uniform for activities/sports and excursions. Any uniform supplied by LAL is to be returned at the end of the course.
- To deal with all student, IGL and University representatives’ issues, complaints and suggestions in a positive and effective manner and in adherence with the relevant LAL policies and procedures.
- To carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Center Manager.
The letters in brackets denote how LAL will establish if you meet our criteria and how that will be determined. The letters have the following meaning: (A) = Application Form, (I) = Interview, (R) = Reference and (T) = Test.
E.g. experience of working with young people will be determined by the information provided by the candidate on the application form (A) and through questions at Interview (I).
Education, Training and Knowledge
- a) High School Diploma, GED or equivalent (A)
- b) Computer literate with emphasis on Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel (A/I/T)
- c) A good understanding of child welfare (A/I)
- d) Good knowledge of either sports and/or arts & crafts activities (A/I/T)
Relevant Work Experience
- a) At least 1 year of experience in a summer school environment (A/I/R)
- b) Experience working with young people (A/I/R)
Skills and Abilities
- a) Meticulous and thorough approach to work (A/I)
- b) Effective people management skills (A/I)
- c) Dynamic ‘can do’ approach to work (A/I)
- d) Strong time management skills (A/I)
- e) Excellent communication skills and a team mentality (A/I)
- (f) Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines (A/I)
- a) Willingness to work non-standard hours when necessary (A/I)
- b) Proactive attitude towards closing sales (A/I)
- c) Responsible approach to working with juniors (A/I)
- d) Interest in local and foreign culture (A/I)
- e) Satisfactory criminal background check or equivalent (A/R)
Education, Training and Knowledge
- a) Understanding of transport logistics (A/I)
- b) Some knowledge of airports, unaccompanied minor and immigration issues (A/I)
- c) Good working knowledge of at least one foreign language (A/I)
- d) Good knowledge of the area surrounding the school (A/I)
- e) First Aid certificate/Life Guard certificate (A)
Relevant Work Experience
- a) At least 1 year of experience in a senior role directly concerned with logistics or similar (A/I)
- b) At least 1 year of experience managing activities (A/I)
Skills and Abilities
- a) Driving licence (A)
In the event of a successful interview, the applicant will be offered the position and a reply in the first instance either by email or in writing will be required. A formal offer, confirming location, hours, dates and remuneration will be sent upon receipt of your email acceptance of the position. This will need to be signed and posted and/or scanned and emailed by return.
Any offer of work is subject to a face-to-face interview on arrival, a satisfactory background check or equivalent and favourable references (all references will ask specifically whether there is any reason why you should not be employed in situations where you will have responsibility for, or substantial access to, persons under 18).
An electronic version of the employee handbook, containing the general terms and conditions of employment, will be made available in advance, with acceptance of these terms to be signed at induction on your first day. Employment Agreement is considered fulfilled upon completion of an appraisal and all requisite feedback forms.
Employment Agreement is considered fulfilled upon completion of an appraisal and all requisite feedback forms.
How to apply
Please ensure that you meet the requirements in the Job Description and Person Specification before applying.
You can apply on-line using the link below, or download and complete an application form.
On-line application form
PDF application form
How to complete the PDF application form