The role of Activity Leader is an important one, directly concerned with the welfare and enjoyment of overseas junior students. This requires the post-holder to lead a full range of activities and excursions both on and off site. Activity Leaders will also supervise airport transfers and offer constructive assistance as required for all aspects of the young learner program. The ideal Activity Leader will be fun, energetic and outgoing as well as have a high level of responsibility and authority. We aim for all our Activity Leaders to have as much fun as possible whilst always acting with high regard for the rules and policies of LAL and maintaining discipline throughout the course.
- Salary: $420 per week
- Location: Fort Lauderdale or Boston
- Division: LAL USA
- Contract length: Summer Job
Leisure Manager / Excursions Coordinator / Activity Coordinator
Hours of Work/Employment Agreement Type:
Your normal hours of work are 48 per week over a five and a half day week. You may be required to work additional hours when requested to meet the needs of the business. This position involves working on weekends and other unsocial hours.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- To participate fully in all aspects of the induction period prior to the start of the course.
- To carry out all tasks concerned with the setting up, administration and closing down of the course as advised by line management.
- To consistently ensure the welfare of students remains paramount.
- To vigorously encourage students to take an active part in the leisure program.
- To assist in daily administrative and pastoral tasks as requested by line management, including meal monitoring.
- To assist all students, International Group Leaders and LAL agents to derive the maximum benefit from the course.
- To ensure that all aspects of the leisure program run smoothly and safely.
- To assist students in being on time for meals, transport arrangements and all planned activities.
- Attend a daily briefing scheduled to take place at the end of every working day (approximately 11pm).
- Assist in the promotion of our social media pages by taking photos on activities and/or excursions
- To accompany and lead students on excursions, activities and transfers to and from the airport, ensuring their well-being and safety.
- To protect the property and equipment of LAL, maintaining security and avoiding loss and/or damage in the residences.
- To act in a seemly and professional manner with all of LAL’s agents, clients and staff and not to engage in any activity which may bring LAL into disrepute.
- To always act as a positive role model and representative of LAL whilst on site or in the presence of students or IGLs.
- To dress in a manner commensurate with the roles demanded of the position; appropriate clothing for activities/sports and excursions. Any uniform supplied by LAL is to be returned at the end of the course.
- To carry out any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Center Manager or Leisure Manager.
- To deal with all student and IGL issues, complaints and suggestions in a positive and effective manner and in adherence with the relevant LAL policies and procedures.
- To read and be fully conversant with the staff handbook and all pertinent CEA requirements prior to the start of the period of employment (documents supplied prior to start of employment).
The letters in brackets denote how LAL will establish if you meet our criteria and how that will be determined. The letters have the following meaning: (A) = Application Form, (I) = Interview, (R) = Reference and (T) = Test.
E.g. experience of working with young people will be determined by the information provided by the candidate on the application form (A) and through questions at Interview (I)
Education, Training and Knowledge
- a) High School Diploma, GED or equivalent (A)
- b) Strong command of the English Language (A/I)
- c) Good knowledge of either sports and/or arts & crafts/performing arts (A/I/T)
Relevant Work Experience
- a) Experience of working with young people (A/I/R)
Skills and Abilities
- a) Must work well as part of a team (A/I)
- b) Responsible approach to working with juniors (I/R)
- c) Ability to work under pressure (A/I)
- d) Dynamic ‘can do’ approach to work (A/I)
- e) Endless energy and enthusiasm (A/I)
- a) Excellent communication skills (A/I)
- b) Some knowledge of foreign cultures (A/I)
- c) Interest in activities and local culture (A/I)
- d) Satisfactory criminal background check or equivalent (A/R)
Education, Training and Knowledge
- a) First Aid Certificate/Life Guard Certificate (A)
- b) Good knowledge of the local area (A/I)
- c) Computer literate (A)
- d) Driving licence (A)
Relevant Work Experience
- a) Previous Summer School experience (A/I)
- b) At least 1 year’s work experience in a similar role (A/I)
Skills and abilities
- a) Good working knowledge of at least one foreign language (A)
In the event of a successful interview, the applicant will be offered the position and a reply in the first instance either by email or in writing will be required.
A formal offer, confirming location, hours, dates and remuneration will be sent upon receipt of your email acceptance of the position. This will need to be signed and posted and/or scanned and emailed by return.
Any offer of work is subject to a face-to-face interview on arrival, a satisfactory background check or equivalent and favourable references (all references will ask specifically whether there is any reason why you should not be employed in situations where you will have responsibility for, or substantial access to, persons under 18).
An electronic version of the employee handbook, containing the general terms and conditions of employment, will be made available in advance, with acceptance of these terms to be signed at induction on your first day.
Employment Agreement is considered fulfilled upon completion of an appraisal and all requisite feedback forms.
How to apply
Please ensure that you meet the requirements in the Job Description and Person Specification before applying.
You can apply on-line using the link below, or download and complete an application form.
On-line application form
PDF application form