Job Description & Person Specification
Payroll & Administration Officer
To take responsibility for the management and delivery of efficient and accurate Payroll processes at LAL
LAL Torbay, Conway Road, Paignton, TQ4 5LH
Hours of work/contract type:
Part Time, 20 hours per week
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Paignton
- Division: LAL Torbay
- Contract length: Part Time
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To take responsibility for the delivery of efficient and accurate Payroll processes
- Ensure compliance in terms of minimum wage, pensions auto enrolment, Tax and NI and HMRC Submissions
- Maintains payroll information by designing systems; directing the collection, calculation, and entering of data.
- Updates payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department/ division transfers.
- Pays employees by directing the production of pay checks or electronic transfers to bank accounts.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, and non taxable wages.
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Provides payroll information by answering staff questions and requests.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Complies with all UK and HMRC legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on action required.
- Setting up new members of staff on the payroll system
- Calculating any statutory payments
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Payroll Technician qualification or equivalent experience
- GCSE Maths and English Grade C or above or equivalent
- General office administration experience
- Experience of using full range of Microsoft Office Suite
- Previous Payroll Experience
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent level of spoken and written English
- Accuracy and attention to detail, particularly when working to tight deadlines
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Flexibility in approach to learning and understanding new things
- Numerate and ability to use a calculator and perform basic arithmetic calculations e.g. percentages and ratios
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel (Office 2007 or higher)
- Willingness to work non-standard hours when necessary Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise workload and deal with conflicting demands
- Attention to detail
- A-Level education or equivalent
- Experience of Using Opera Payroll Software
- Language School Experience