In liaison with the Academic Manager and the Head and of Young Learners, manage the Young Learner Academic Programme to ensure the highest possible standards of teaching are delivered by Young Learner teachers. The role involves providing CPD to Young Learner teachers, initial placement testing, student movements wherever necessary, student welfare and teaching as required. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and liaison skills.
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Paignton
- Division: LAL Torbay
- Contract length: Temporary
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To read and be fully conversant with the staff handbook, relevant Child Protection issues, Copyright License issues and all pertinent British Council requirements prior to the start of the period of employment (documents supplied prior to start of employment).
- Keep an accurate record of the RTW book stock.
- To liaise with International Group Leaders and with the Leisure and Welfare departments as required.
- To provide ongoing assistance and guidance to YL teachers in Torbay.
- To carry out teacher observations and provide feedback as required by LAL policies and accreditation.
- To prepare for and oversee both first and final day procedures as necessary. These include the testing and placement of students, certificate printing, mail merging and printing of Young Learners reports as well as organising and running the Young Learner graduation.
- To assist in the planning of YL classes as required.
- To mentor newly recruited teaching staff and to instruct and support them in the academic and administrative processes of the school, including all areas of health and safety.
- To identify training needs and assist the Academic Manager with staff training and development specific to Young Learners.
- To help ensure the classrooms are furnished appropriately and equipped with the necessary audio and visual equipment.
- To cover classes when teachers are unable to attend work whilst ensuring continuity for the students as far as possible.
- To assist, if necessary, in the development of new and existing courses by researching materials, designing course plans, teaching and responding to feedback as directed by the Academic Manager.
- In liaison with the Academic Manager, to be the primary point of contact in the Academic Department for Young Learners. To endeavour to resolve issues and to keep the Academic Department informed.
- To update and maintain class paper records in the Academic Office
- To attend staff meetings.
- To behave in a courteous and professional manner with colleagues and clients at all times.
- To deliver a high level of customer service to both existing and prospective students at all times.
- To be familiar with good health and safety practices and to respect any such relevant codes of conduct.
- To be familiar with the inspection criteria of the British Council and any other accreditations, and in liaison with the management team ensure that those criteria are met.
- To undertake other duties as deemed necessary by the Academic Manager and the General Manager.
- DELTA / Dip TEFLA / MA in TEFL
- Teaching experience at all levels
- Experience of people management
- Experience of evaluating standards of teaching and learning and ensuring standards are maintained.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Computer literate ability to use a range of Microsoft Office programmes specifically Word and Excel
- Methodical approach
- Attention to detail
- Maintain confidentiality and work with discretion.
- Ability to work within company policies and with an awareness of equal opportunities.
- Ability to work constructively to lead teams.
- Ability to deal with conflicting demands
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to support and coach people, assess their work and manage resources.
- An interest in promoting learner autonomy
- Good personal time management
- Excellent team player.
- Experience General office administration experience
- Teaching experience in more than one school
- Experience as a team leader.
- Knowledge of creative learning and teaching.
- Mentoring experience
- Previous experience in a role of responsibility
- Experience in teaching Young Learners
- Knowledge of learning platforms
- Experience using Office 365
- Experience of course book writing/editing and/or course design
- Experience designing and/or facilitating teacher training sessions
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- An awareness of foreign cultures
- Ability to speak a different language(s) to a conversational level
- Demonstrate a commitment to sustained continuing professional development.
How to apply
Please ensure that you meet the requirements in the Job Description and Person Specification before applying.
You can apply on-line using the link below, or download and complete an application form.