In liaison with the Group Academic Coordinator ensure the highest possible standards of teaching are delivered to the students. To teach English to overseas students as required. Participation in afternoon and evening activities and excursions.
LAL London, Twickenham, Greater London, TW1 3SZ
Hours of work/contract type:
Annualised 1320 hours per annum, permanent
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Twickenham
- Division: LAL London
- Contract length: Permanent
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To mentor newly recruited teaching staff and to instruct and support them in the academic and administrative processes of the school, including all areas of health and safety.
- To identify training needs and assist the Academic Manager with staff training and development.
- To assist with teacher observations, feedback and administration.
- To help ensure the classrooms are furnished appropriately and equipped with the necessary audio and visual equipment.
- To take a lead role in increasing the use of technology in the school, ensuring high quality standards and maximum student participation.
- To teach a variable lesson timetable in agreement with the Group Academic Coordinator.
- To cover classes when teachers are unable to attend work, ensuring continuity for the students as far as possible.
- To deputise for the Group Academic Coordinator in his/her absence.
- To assist if necessary in the development of new and existing courses by researching materials, designing course plans, teaching and responding to feedback as directed by the Group Academic Coordinator
- To assist in the weekly planning of classes.
- To test and place new students on arrival and give them a comprehensive induction to the school.
- To teach on specialist exam courses (such as FCE, CAE, CPE, GESE) and support colleagues on these courses.
- To enter students for exams, attend Cambridge ESOL meetings and feed back to the Group Academic Coordinator and teachers regarding changes.
- In liaison with the Group Academic Coordinator, to be one of the primary points of contact in the Academic Department for students. To endeavour to resolve issues and to keep the Group Academic Coordinator informed.
- To test late arrivals and mark pre-arrival tests.
- To mark diagnostic tests and identify key areas for students to work on. To discuss the areas identified with the class teacher and the student as required.
- To attend and occasionally deliver staff meetings.
- To behave in a courteous and professional manner with colleagues and clients at all times.
- To deliver a high level of customer service to both existing and prospective students at all times.
- To be familiar with good health and safety practices and to respect any such relevant codes of conduct.
- To be familiar with the inspection criteria of the British Council and any other accreditations, and in liaison with the management team ensure that those criteria are met.
- To undertake other duties as deemed necessary by the Group Academic Coordinator and the General Manager.
- DELTA or equivalent
- Experience of evaluating standards of teaching and learning and ensuring standards are maintained.
- Abreast of current educational thinking, research and initiatives.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Computer literate ability to use a range of Microsoft Office programmes specifically Word and Excel
- Methodical approach
- Attention to detail
- Maintain confidentiality and work with discretion.
- Ability to work within company policies and with an awareness of equal opportunities.
- Ability to work constructively to lead teams.
- Ability to deal with conflicting demands
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task
- Good personal time management
- Ability to support and coach people, assess their work and manage resources.
- Flexible hours required.
- Ability to work long hours in Summer months
- Teaching experience in more than one school
- Experience as a team leader.
- Knowledge of creative learning and teaching.
- Mentoring experience
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to speak a different language(s) to a conversational level
- Demonstrate a commitment to sustained continuing professional development.